Wednesday, November 20, 2013

I have neglected my blog for a few days-not that I was regular in the past; but I did
make a new year resolution to keep the blog updated and realise that resolutions, even with
the best intentions, are made to be broken. So from now onward, I have promised myself to attend to this blog whenever the urge presses me to attend to it. I share a story I posted on Tony's Facebook page a few days ago(Anthony deMello-Call to Love page) The outcome of this tale has yet to unfold but for the moment I'm still counting my blessings. I wish you all good health and happiness! Please read on:

Posted on Facebook page 15th October 2013.
A small change from the usual posts I have been offering here. I know how much you all appreciate Tony's Wisdom. So while this post may be a distraction from my usual daily posts, it has deep meaning for me.
I was due to leave for Bali today on a brief holiday. Yesterday though, a medical emergency took me to the local hospital where the doctor strongly recommended I cancel my trip. I was very disappointed, all but devastated. This trip was in the planning since June this year. Nevertheless, I followed his advise and stayed home while the others went on their way. Now, you may ask, what has this to do with Tony and his Wisdom? Well, had the medical emergency taken place this morning, I would have boarded the flight, only to be in big trouble on my arrival. I won't go into the details but to console myself, I thought of that little story which I have quoted in Tony's biography, The Happy Wanderer. All things do indeed turn out well. Please take a moment to read this gem from my brother:

There is a Chinese story of an old farmer who had an old horse for tilling his fields. One day, the horse escaped into the hills and when all the farmer’s neighbours sympathised with the old man over his bad luck, the farmer replied, ‘Bad luck? Good luck? Who knows?’ A week later the horse returned with a herd of wild horses from the hills and this time the neighbours congratulated the farmer on his good luck. His reply was, ‘Good luck? Bad luck? Who knows?’ Then, when the farmer’s son was attempting to tame one of the wild horses, he fell off its back and broke his leg. Everyone thought this was very bad luck. Not the farmer, whose only reaction was, ‘Bad luck? Good luck? Who knows?’ Some weeks later, the army marched into the village and conscripted every able-bodied youth they found there. When they saw the farmer’s son with his broken leg they let him off. Now was that good luck? Bad luck? Who knows?
Everything that seems on the surface to be an evil may be a good in disguise. And everything that seems good on the surface may really be an evil. So we are wise when we leave it to God to decide what is good luck and what bad, and thank him that all things turn out for good with those who love him. Then we shall see something of that marvellous mystical vision of Juliana of Norwich who uttered what for me is the loveliest and most consoling sentence I have ever read: ‘And all thing shall be well; and all thing shall be well; and all manner of thing shall be well!’
Anthony deMello SJ.
September 4th 1931 – June 1st 1987.

No comments:

Post a Comment