Thursday, July 18, 2013

I used to have an lovely Aunt who faithfully recited her prayers from a prayer book. Tucked between the folds of the pages, was a list of people she prayed for. I am convinced that her intentions were of the purest nature. How effective her prayers were though, is hard to say. Here is a lovely quote from one of my brother's books-I love it.

Late one evening a poor farmer on his way back from the market found himself without his prayer book. The wheel of his cart had come off right in the middle of the woods and it distressed him that this day would pass without his having said his prayers.
So this is the prayer he made: “I have done something very foolish, Lord. I came away from home this morning without my prayer book and my memory is such that I cannot recite a single prayer without it. So this is what I am going to do: I shall recite the alphabet five times very slowly and you, to whom all prayers are known, can put the letters together to form the prayers I can’t remember.”
And the Lord said to his angels, “Of all the prayers I have heard today, this one was undoubtedly the best because it came from a heart that was simple and sincere.” - Anthony de Mello, S.J.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Bill, I'm an Italian guy who loves Anthony de Mello.
    My first encounter with Anthony was several years ago. I was about 12, and I saw that my uncles had a book entitled particular "Message to eagle thinks it's a chicken" (the Italian title of "Awareness").
    I was pretty small and I have not read anything, until 8 years later, I found that particular title, while looking for spiritual books.
    That book has changed my life and my way of thinking about religion. Catholicism is the religion of my country, but I have always been struck by the Eastern religions. Tony has been the perfect balance. He makes me realize that God is within me in a way so simple and direct.
    One day I was very sad for romantic setback, but Tony came to me: I was in a bookstore and I have saw his book titled "Call To Love" (this time the Italian title was translated equal). It has been a lifesaver! I have overcome the sadness thanks to his words that came straight to my heart.
    I wanted to know much more about the life of Tony, but I've never found anything, until the day in which I ended up in your site where you wrote the biography.
    I've found that you've done a book and I hope it is soon translated into Italian.
    Thanks to Tony continued to seek spirituality and thanks to you that I do rivere Tony even though I was born after he had died.

    best Regards

    Pietro

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Pietro,
    Thank you very much for your kind comments. It gives me great pleasure every time I receive email messages such as yours and to know that Tony, while long gone physically from this world, continues to inspire young people such as yourself.
    It is true that I have written a more comprehensive biography published under the title The Happy Wanderer and I hope you can obtain your copy in English and read his life story. I know not when this book will be translated into Italian or for that matter Spanish or other European languages. Tony was the darling of Spain for many a year and also well known and respected in Italy.
    Three eastern countries however, have asked for rights to publish in their languages-Philippines, Taiwan and Korea. So Tony continues to travel. :)
    Call to love, in my humble opinion, is Tony's BEST work. These were meditations he used with his group therapy in his institute Sadhana. You will read all about his institution when you get The Happy Wanderer.
    Keep well Pietro and if time permits, keep in touch.
    Very warm regards,
    Bill.

    ReplyDelete